Thursday, October 05, 2006

I smell pot and a stork visits the hospital

So, last week Theresa was going through some of her old clothes and she gave me a t-shirt she purchased at the U2 concert in Dublin last summer. I was so excited about this new t-shirt that I wore it the next day under my overalls in the large animal hospital. About the middle of the day I was at my locker taking off my overalls to go to lunch when I noticed the distinct odor of pot! It could be nothing else... I thought it might be all in my head but my friend Emer said she could kind of smell it too. I just assumed it was coming from somewhere in the locker room. A few hours later I smelled it again in the large animal hospital, and then again in the stall with my patient. Soon it dawned on me that I might be generating this eu de marijuana!! My theory: that when Theresa bought this t-shirt at the concert there were people around her smoking pot, which infused the t-shirt with the smell. I can only hope that no one else smelled it and thought "God, Jenni's a pot-head!"
In other news, a stork was brought into the hospital from the Dublin Zoo with a broken leg last week while I was on the Large Animal Surgery rotation. Apparently when zoo animals are admitted to the hospital they fall under the category of "large animals." I question the level of responsibility of some zoo employees because this stork had apparently escaped from his enclosure and flew into a tree, evading capture for two days. When they finally got the stork back he had a broken leg, and the zoo people wanted it fixed (as opposed to amputation) because he was due to get a girlfriend. They want to breed from this stork and I guess he can't really do the job with only one good leg. So they put a plate on the broken bone and hopefully that will get him fixed up for his woman. The stork, by the way, looks just like Mr. Burns from the Simpsons.

No comments: